Sunday, September 30, 2007

Studying in Xela (Quetzaltenango)

Howdy! Going into week 7 already! Hope everyone is doing well!

Decided to forego a week studying in Panajachel for Xela, the second largest city in Guatemala (very wise decision). This is real everyday (modern) life in Guatemala. The city is much less touristy than Antigua and I'm finding my school here to be of higher quality than that in Antigua. Well, at least more practical. I learned a lot (on paper) in Antigua but was using very little on a daily basis. I've only had 4 days of class here in Xela, but I've spoken more Spanish than in 4 weeks in Antigua!!

The weather here, as you'll be able to tell by the photos is really nice during the day. Usually in the high 70's. By about 4 or 5 pm, the clouds get much darker and it often sprinkles in the afternoons. It's rained quite heavily a few nights here in Xela. However, better weather here than in Antigua, where it rained like clockwork in the late afternoons and evenings.

My teacher (at Miguel de Cervantes school http://www.learn2speakspanish.com/index.htm), Lizandro is awesome. He's very chill and progressive. He's even teaching me some of the "street" lingo, which is helpful with the younger crowd. He LOVES American music, and it comes up many times a day. He's very genuine and authentic and I consider myself lucky to have him as my instructor.

Here's some photos of the main park in Xela as well as views of the church.

I'm chillin this weekend in Xela proper, but will most likely go to Fuentes Georginas (natural hot springs + hotel- about 15 miles outside of Xela) next weekend. More phtos then!
Adios!




















No comments: