Thursday, October 25, 2007


What the hell? I thought I was in Guatemala?! That's an tattered American flag I'm pointing to in the small puebo of Salcaja just outstide of Quetzaltenango!


Here´s the gym in Salcaja. I was actually pretty impressed with this little town. Great market and to my suprise, this is where they make most of the corte fabric that the indigenous women of Guatemala use for their ankle length skirts. Tons of stores selling the exact same fabric...but this is the place where everyone get´s the corte. Salcaja is alsothe home of the oldest church in Cental America--but oddly enough, it´s not mentioned, (the church nor Salcaja) in any of my guide books.
Cows near a corn field on the outskirts of Salcaja.

Cows walking on the street in Salcaja. They actually seemed to be leading the guy. Down the rode a bit, the cows knew exactly where to turn!

This looks like as good a place as any to take a nap, huh?
Here's another one...he woke up just before I snapped the photo.
This is the oldest church in Central America, located in Salcaja. Have the name written in my cuaderno which is not with me at the moment. Unfortunately, it was all locked up when we visited.
Oddly enough, even though Salcaja is home to the oldest church in C.A. and also where they make the amazing corte fabric, it is not listed in ANY guide book on Guatemala I've found.
They sit and weave ALL day to make the traditional corte fabric that the indigenous women wear for their skirts.
Incredibly intricate!! <-----ENORMOUS UNDERSTATEMENT!

No comments: