Saturday, November 3, 2007

Drunken Horse Races in Todos Santos...One of the worst experiences... (scroll down to see one of the BEST)
I essentially based my itinerary around being in Todos Santos (remote valley pueblo north of Huehuetenango) on November 1st which is their festival for Todos Santos (All Saints). They celebrate with a fair, food, TONS of beer drinking and crazy horse races.
To say the least...I was disappointed in the festivities as it was more a display of drunkenness by the locals which was not a pretty sight to behold. I spent most of my two days there in my hotel room. It was just like watching a train wreck the whole time. It was cold, damp and everywhere it was muddy.

The picture below was of a woman VERY drunk with a crying child on her back. The woman was dancing to the Marimba music being played while drinking a beer. After seeing this, I was pretty much ready to leave.

Unfortunately, there were no buses back, so I had to endure for two days. Where, luckily, I was able to catch shuttle back with some other travelers...one of which (THANK YOU MATT!!) had booked the shuttle in advance and we were all able to split the cost.
There was always a crowd watching the train-wreck of the drunken dancers.
Here are some photos of the horse races. The course was a muddy run way a little less than 1/4 mile maybe in which they raced back and forth at the sound of whistles from each end. Apparently, the races were more about proving ones man-hood than actually beating the other riders. I heard later in the day that some tourists actually got involved. Apparently anyone could race if they paid their money. The drunken part comes in that the riders were all hung over from drinking late into the night before.

I was told that the riders would be using live chickens to whip the horses to go faster. Thankfully, they did not do this.

Anyway...by far the most disappointing 2 1/2 days on my trip...but an experience nonetheless.


No comments: