Saturday, November 3, 2007

One of the BEST experiences so far...
This is a photos of me in Momostenango...another small village north of Quetzaltenango. A friend and I took the 2 hour bus ride for a day trip to see what the guide book called "an eerie badlands of crags rising from the earth." The 'badlands' turned out to be pretty small and not so bad nor eerie...BUT...as we were walking to find the backside of the badlands, we came across a group of kids who were shouting the few English words they know out at us. In a short while, I was sitting with them and teaching them other words they wanted to know in English. They'd tell me a word in Spanish, for examble, "amarillo" and I'd tell them, "yellow". They were absolutely precious!! They asked Katie and me to sing them a song. The only thing I could think of was Itsy-Bitsy-Spider. So there Katie and I were standing on a deserted street in small-pueblo Momo, singing Itsy-Bitsy -Spider complete with hand signals of the rain coming down, washing the spider out and the sun coming up. In turn, we asked they sing us a song...the only one brave enough was the little girl sitting on my lap. She was the ring leader of the group (all brothers and sisters by the way)...it was ABSOLUTELY THE BEST thing EVER!! A very precious memory!
Eating lunch of chorizo sausage, tortillas and a gallo.
The eerie bad-lands of Momostenango.

Corn EVERYWHERE in Guatemala...but just to give some perspective on how TALL it is!

No comments: