Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Arequipa and Cuzco

On the Road Again! Okay...so these posts are COMPLETELY out of order from when I was in these places...put I figure you don't care, and I just really want to get these photos up. This series is of me and Deb traveling from Lima to Arequipa...otherwise known as the BUS TRIP THAT WOULD NEVER END! We were told it was about 10 - 12 hours to Arequipa from Lima...well, when the 12th hour came round and a guy got off and what I thought he said jokingly, "seis mas horas", I laughed and said 'yeah right'. Well we looked at our map..and sure enough we had 6 more hours to go! We were definitely very unprepared for this trip as we bought and packed no food for snacking and we got yelled at if we took too long during our potty breaks or convenience store breaks to buy food. Ugh...well, we finally did make it and looking back it wasn't too bad...not nearly as bad as our trip through the beautiful Colca Canyon (post to be coming next). We did learn our lesson and we bought a very nice 1st class bus ticket for our trip from Arequipa to Cuzco...photos of which are on the back end of this post. Enjoy! Our saving grace of the 18 1/2 hour bus trip was we had the first two seats and we could put our feet up. REALLY important. Coast line of Peru. The view from the ONE restaurant we actually stopped at for a meal. Again, our one meal stop restaurant. The expression on my face tells it all...we were tired and hungry. My food was pretty good, surprisingly...fresh calamari, properly fried...however, Deborah's fish must have been fried 2 times. Looks like it was stuck out under the hot sun for hours, maybe under some dirt. Deb said it didn't taste much better. Just some photos of what's around our bus...NOTHING but desert for MILES in all directions! Again...the expression says it all...'Are you kidding?! We've got to get back on this god-forsaken bus?!' Waiting to get back on the bus. Oh....fashion goddesses we are. I'm telling you...we were tired, hot, cranky, and just wanted to BE THERE ALREADY!! Actually, I think the above picture is on a different bus trip...but, does it really matter???So...once we got into Arequipa, I went HAT CRAZY!! Lunch in Arequipa at Sol de MayoBuying music discs on the street in Arequipa.Okay...so quick, sad story...this lady had this really great, simple, white cable knit hat. Perfect! However, it was already sold to someone else. She said she could make one for me and I could pick it up the next day. GREAT! So, what you see is the beginnings of my new hat. Well...I DID go pick it up the next day, and it was beautiful...looked exactly like the first one I saw. The sad part is in my altitude -headache-stupor the very next day when we arrived in Cuzco...I lost it!!! Boo hoo!!! I was sooo bummed. But all is not lost...Later in Cuzco, in a different artesanial shopping center, I found yet another woman to knit me a hat. Not the same cable knit style...but still really cute. Now, where did I put it? I'm sure it's in my very full backpack somewhere!Beautiful shop with beautfiul hats. The blue one in the middle isn't on that table anymore! ;-)City views of Arequipa...main square. Looks a bit different than my Semana Santa post.Apparently, Arequipa is either not for sale, doesn't sell, or is not sold (on what I wonder). Okay...This is Cuzco(above) GORGEOUS center plaza...but me being the cheapy...I didn't think it was right to have to pay to get into churches...so I didn't see the inside of any. It's a very touristy town where they want your money! GREAT breakfast place on a main drag in Cuzco...Amara I think it's called. Simply the biggest breakfast in town for the money! For just over $3usd, you get eggs, french toast, regular toast, sweet tamale (soooo good!), excellent blackberry jam, butter, fresh juice and what you don't see on the table is what comes last, fresh fruit with yougurt and musli, honey, nuts...sooooo good! We went there twice! Oh yeah, cafe con leche tambien! And the breakfast came with a great balcony view...how were we able to score this seat 2 times in a row?! On a side street in San Blas, a barrio of Cuzco. Me and Deb...on the road again! Shopping in Cuzco. San Blas side street (yup, San Blas is uphill) No fun with big backpacks! Peruvian ladies knitting. Cuzco at sunset...STUNNING! Looks like God sweeping his hand over the night sky. Eerie a bit, huh? I impressed myself with this photo. :-) At Paddy Flaherty's in Cuzco...they remind us all of what we probably don't need reminding (since they put it on everything it seems)... to "EAT MORE PIG". Upstairs at Amara cafe, again! Plaza de Armas (Center square in Cuzco) with a protest going on. Cleaning the fountain in the Plaza de Armas, Cuzco.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Also the Web makes this amazing doing your research a very simple move to bring about. The web provides a level of privateness along with security that's difficult in order to get throughout other areas. Sexual men sizegenetics no more needs that should be a lengthy and furthermore hard procedure. Male sizegenetics therapists possess a robust presence on the internet and presently right now generally at this time now certainly , truth be told furthermore in that respect so here really is no reason to visit elsewhere when you're searching for only a expert that will actually let you.
http://sizegenetics-reviewx.tumblr.com/