Tuesday, April 8, 2008

BOLIVIA!Well, this was by far the WORST border crossing yet. And it was for no reason or fault of the border officials. The jackass on the bus was rushing all of us to get through immigration as if we had some control over how quick that all goes. He was literally yelling at me for using the bathroom after getting my passport stamped...Now, had he told me we only had 5 more minutes to go until we reached Copacabana, (which he lead us all to believe it was an hour...probably his stupid sense of humor) I would have waited...the bus actually started pulling away without me! Well, anyone who knows me, knows that's not gonna go over well with me, especially since they are providing a service, which I PAID FOR! I told him how rude he was and that he was providing horrible service....of course in Spanish! Not a good way to enter Bolivia. Plus, it cost me $100 for the visa.
Views of a church in Copacabana (cute little town). Only stayed one night.

After Copacabana, I took a bus to La Paz, Bolivia. Now...I'm pretty sure, Paz means peace, but there was nothing peaceful about La Paz...I wanted out just about as soon as I got there. WAY to busy, loud, smoggy, etc... for me!
Bolivia is also known for frequent protests which wreak havoc on the traffic...within an hour of getting into a hostel, there was this protest outside my window.
This is the building in which I slept. The door to the hostel is the one in the middle. Crazy, old building.Lots of stairs to climb just to get up into the hostel which was on the 3rd floor.
Night life in Bolivia...everyone seems to do their shopping at night.
Crazy streets of La Paz.
This was the cool touristy area in which to buy everything Alpaca!

They had some crazy stuff for sale in the streets of La Paz...these are dried Llama fetuses. People in Bolivia bury them to bring good luck, or a new house, or something crazy like that.
And if you need a haircut...well, of course you got to the one street that seems to have all the Peluquerias (haircut shop for you and me) Actually, I kinda like how they catagorize the shops in South America (and central for that matter). Easy to do comparison shopping...no need to rush all around town.
Lake Titicaca...huge and beautiful.
We had to cross it on barge to get to La Paz.
That's our bus wayyyy out there in the middle of the lake.

Salt Flats! The Salar de Uyuni
This is the reason I went to Bolivia in the first place.
These salt flats are 12,000 square kilometers in area and go 50 meters down...underneath is water. Crazy huh???
There was an odd locomotive cemetary at the start of our trip. Pretty cool, I thought.
And we're off! Surreal!
These 'sculptures' were in the salt museum on the Salar.
View of the Salar from a volcanic 'island' in the middle of the Salar. Only thing growing essenially was cactus.
I'm going to EAT you!
Swimming in the wine bottle. Fun, huh?
It's hard to tell, but one of these is wearing white (left) and the other is wearing black. Sorta like angel and devil...I'm currently listening to the angel. :-)

Our cook, Nena. We had HUGE pork chops for lunch the first day.

Our first night we slept in a salt hotel. EVERYTHING was made out of salt.

Some of the flamingos we saw at one of the many lagoons on our trip.
This is known as Arbol de Piedra (Rock Tree)
It was really windy and COLD!

This was the second place we slept...not nearly as nice and it was FREEZING!
Thermal baths we did go in on the 3rd day. It was really cold outside and I didn't think I'd go it, but once I felt the water, it was a must-do!
This is gorgeous Bolivia! As well as my last stop before entering Chile.

No comments: