Monday, April 7, 2008

Machu Picchu--
Gonna just put up some photos real quick as I've got wi-fi, just no way to charge my computer. So, I'm at 64%, so I'll do what I can with what I have. Everyone knows Machu Picchu, so it'll just be photos, most likely no comments. Enjoy!
Getting on the train in Ollantaytambo (yeah, say that 3 times fast...I actually can now!) Quite expensive...1 1/2 hour ride cost $41!!! We took another train all the way back to Cuzco (bypassing Ollantaytambo altogether for a 4 hour train ride at cost of $48!) Plus $45 to enter Machu Picchu, it's not a cheap trip. I hear the trek is GREAT and the food is wonderful...just no time to do it, plus you gotta book it at least 6 weeks in advance.
5:30am ready for the 30 minute bus trip up the mountain to Machu Picchu.
I present to you...MACHU PICCHU!





I know these two look alike, but look closely...they're not! The fog kept moving in and out all morning for about 4 hours. (We started our day at 5:30am!) There were times you couldn't see anything at all of the ruins. Very cool time to be there...also, note...there are not that many people...THAT'S the whole reason to stay in Aguas Calientes, which the guide book does not speak nicely about at all, but I really enjoyed it there! The town of Aguas Calientes is part rick-shaw town held together by crazy glue, part hussle, part reggae, all with a river running through it. It definitely had it's charms when it was all lit up at night. Plus, the 3 for 1 specials, and we did better, we found 4 for 1 for our money! :-) Also, here's a sampling of the cuisine in Aguas Calientes and a photo to match! Look closely and you can see the teeth and feet of this guinea pig!Just getting into Machu Picchu!Now, I realize, this is the first photo of me and Deb...you'll see many more as I continue to update this blog...this is the coolest chick straight from Brooklyn and we met in Lima! She is what I'll now call my creative director! Such energy and spirit, this girl...just wait...more photos later. I'm down to 26% battery power. Gotta finish this M.P. update. But she's one of the coolest cats to travel with!!!It did rain a little, so we got to show off our MP fashion!


MY PEOPLE! I reach out to thee!!Sometimes...the travel IS just about the people you meet. For me, Machu Picchu was more about the people I spent my time there with. Meet Steven from Texas. Another cool cat we met during our last few moments at Machu Picchu. We continued to hang out and the party continued on the train trip back to Cuzco...where we met...Finally, tickets in hand (more on this story later!)
.....some more friends on the train as Deb broke out her guitar, I attempted beat-box for the first time ever (and last, btw!), and we all did a little singing.
We met Fred and Virgina Nickel from North Carolina...just married recently (2 years I think--and Fred at 80 years of age...his 3rd marriage...he says his best choice yet...she says he's 'a genious'!) They were so cute...Mom, you'd be proud...we did some clogging on the train while Deb played guitar. Fred calls it "Flat Footing". But...from what I could gather, it's about the same as clogging....who knew...way up in these hills of Peru....It really is about the people you meet!
Okay...low battery...gonna sign off for now; plus, I just realized, they've got Grey's Anatomy on the big tv in the lounge here in my hostal! :-)

No comments: